Blueberry Angel Food Cake With Citrus Glaze
FOR THE CAKE:
1 1/2 craw cane sugar
1 ccake flour
12 largeegg whites
1 1/4 tspcream of tartar
1/2 tspsea salt
1 tspvanilla extract
1 1/2 cfresh blueberries
2 Tbspsifted cake flour
1 Tbsplemon or lime rind (i used a combo of both)
FOR THE GLAZE:
1 cpowdered sugar
3 Tbspfresh citrus juice
How to Make Blueberry Angel Food Cake With Citrus Glaze
- Preheat oven to 375'F
- FOR THE CAKE: Sift together 1/2 cup sugar and 1 cup flour.
- In a large bowl beat egg whites with a high speed mixer until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat until soft peaks form.
- Add 1 cup sugar, 2 tbsp. at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Sift flour mixture over egg white mixture, 1/4 cup at a time; fold in. Fold in vanilla and blueberries.
- Combine 2 tbsp flour and lemon/lime rind; toss to coat. Sprinkle over egg white mixture, fold in.
- Carefully spoon the batter into an ungreased 10" tube pan, spread evenly. Break air pockets by cutting through the batter with a knife.
- Bake at 375'F for 40 minutes or until cake is golden and springs back when touched with your finger.
- Invert the pan on a bottle by putting it in the hole in the middle of the pan if it doesn't have little feet on it.
- Cool completely then run a narrow metal spatula around the outer edge and around the inner tube.
- Put the cake on a plate and decorate with the glaze.
- FOR THE GLAZE: Combine the icing sugar and fresh squeezed citrus juice and pour over the cake when completely cooled.