Blueberry Angel Food Cake With Citrus Glaze
- 1 1/2 c
- raw cane sugar
- 1 c
- cake flour
- 12 large
- egg whites
- 1 1/4 tsp
- cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp
- sea salt
- 1 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 c
- fresh blueberries
- 2 Tbsp
- sifted cake flour
- 1 Tbsp
- lemon or lime rind (i used a combo of both)
- 1 c
- powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp
- fresh citrus juice
FOR THE CAKE:
FOR THE GLAZE:
How to Make Blueberry Angel Food Cake With Citrus Glaze
- 1Preheat oven to 375'F
- 2FOR THE CAKE: Sift together 1/2 cup sugar and 1 cup flour.
- 3In a large bowl beat egg whites with a high speed mixer until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat until soft peaks form.
- 4Add 1 cup sugar, 2 tbsp. at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- 5Sift flour mixture over egg white mixture, 1/4 cup at a time; fold in. Fold in vanilla and blueberries.
- 6Combine 2 tbsp flour and lemon/lime rind; toss to coat. Sprinkle over egg white mixture, fold in.
- 7Carefully spoon the batter into an ungreased 10" tube pan, spread evenly. Break air pockets by cutting through the batter with a knife.
- 8Bake at 375'F for 40 minutes or until cake is golden and springs back when touched with your finger.
- 9Invert the pan on a bottle by putting it in the hole in the middle of the pan if it doesn't have little feet on it.
- 10Cool completely then run a narrow metal spatula around the outer edge and around the inner tube.
- 11Put the cake on a plate and decorate with the glaze.
- 12FOR THE GLAZE: Combine the icing sugar and fresh squeezed citrus juice and pour over the cake when completely cooled.