Blue Suede Cake
This one is so different and its pretty, too.
I just learned my friend sent me a picture from another website so I removed it from this site. Please accept my apologies.
The cream cheese frosting I use with this is posted. See link below for:
Frosting for Blue Suede Cake.
- 2 1/4 c
- cake flour
- 2 Tbsp
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp
- 1 1/4 tsp
- baking powder
- 1/2 tsp
- baking soda
- 1/2 tsp
- 3/4 c
- unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 1/2 c
- 2 large
- eggs , room temperature, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp
- vanilla extract
- (1 ounce) bottles blue gel food coloring (or powder or liquid food coloring)
- 1 c
- cream cheese frosting (see link below for recipe for frosting for blue suede cake)
How to Make Blue Suede Cake
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 9-inch round cake pans, set aside.
Mix together flour, cocoa, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
In a separate bowl mix butter at medium speed until soft and creamy (about 60 seconds). With the mixer running, slowly add the sugar, scraping down sides as you go. Continue beating at medium speed until the mixture is very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- 2Slowly drizzle in the eggs and beat well, stopping to scrape down the sides. Add the vanilla and food coloring ( if you use powdered food coloring or liquid the amount will vary according to brand, use your judgment and go for a really deep blue) and blend well. You may wish to add a tiny bit of red food coloring to give a more blue rather than a green tone to your cake, depending on your brand of food coloring.
- 3Using the mixer on low speed, mix in about one-third of the flour mixture, then half of the buttermilk, scraping down the sides of the bowl and folding just until the ingredients are incorporated. In the same manner, fold in half of the remaining flour mixture, then the remaining buttermilk, and finally the remaining flour mixture.
- 4Divide batter evenly between the two pans. Smooth surfaces with rubber spatula. Bake until each layer springs back when lightly touched in the center with your fingertip and a wooden toothpick comes out clean when inserted (about 25-30 minutes).
When cool frost with cream cheese frosting nd sprinkle with blue colored sugar, if desired.