This basic sponge cake is also used for jelly roll.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
2 cgranulated sugar
1 chot water
2 tspbaking powder
·powdered sugar icing, very thin
·ground peanuts, finely ground
How to Make Blarney Stones
- Grind peanuts with a meat grinder or food chopper (The one from Pampered Chef works very well). Set peanuts aside in a shallow dish.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Beat eggs and sugar until thick. Gradually add hot water and flour mixture alternately to mix.
- Pour into greased jelly roll pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool.
- While cake is baking, prepare very thin powdered sugar icing.
- Cut cooled cake into approximately 1 1/2" X 2" rectangular squares.
- Now comes the FUN! This is a little less messy if you have two people.
- You have a shallow dish of icing, a shallow dish of crushed peanuts and the cut bars of cake. Roll the cake in the thin icing and then in the crushed peanuts.
- Dry on racks or waxed paper. These bars do not keep particularly well. They should be enjoyed and shared with friends on the holiday.
- HINT: I find that lining the jelly roll pan with parchment paper instead of greasing works well.