This basic sponge cake is also used for jelly roll.
- 2 c
- granulated sugar
- 1 c
- hot water
- 2 c
- 2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 dash(es)
- powdered sugar icing, very thin
- ground peanuts, finely ground
How to Make Blarney Stones
- 1Grind peanuts with a meat grinder or food chopper (The one from Pampered Chef works very well). Set peanuts aside in a shallow dish.
- 2Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- 3Beat eggs and sugar until thick. Gradually add hot water and flour mixture alternately to mix.
- 4Pour into greased jelly roll pan.
- 5Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool.
- 6While cake is baking, prepare very thin powdered sugar icing.
- 7Cut cooled cake into approximately 1 1/2" X 2" rectangular squares.
- 8Now comes the FUN! This is a little less messy if you have two people.
- 9You have a shallow dish of icing, a shallow dish of crushed peanuts and the cut bars of cake. Roll the cake in the thin icing and then in the crushed peanuts.
- 10Dry on racks or waxed paper. These bars do not keep particularly well. They should be enjoyed and shared with friends on the holiday.
- 11HINT: I find that lining the jelly roll pan with parchment paper instead of greasing works well.