black & white mousse cake
1/2 cbutter, unsalted
4 ozchocolate, unsweetened squares
1 1/2 csugar
1 ccoffee, room temperature
2 1/4 call purpose flour
1 1/2 tspbaking soda
1 pkggelatin, unflavored
2 Tbspcold water
8 ozwhite chocolate (good quality)
3 cwhipping cream
1/2 tspalmond extract
1/2 tspvanilla extract
FOR SIMPLE SYRUP:
How to Make black & white mousse cake
- CHOCOLATE CAKE:
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease and flour one 9x13 inch pan or two 9 inch round pans.
2.In a small pan melt the butter with the unsweetened chocolate. Set aside to cool slightly.
3.Cream together the sugar and the eggs until light in color.
4.Add the chocolate mixture to the eggs and temper mixture by beating well (so you don't end up with scrambled eggs!)
5.Add 1 cup coffee and blend well. Mixture will be very liquid.
6.Mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add this mixture to the chocolate mixture and blend well.
7.Mix together the vinegar and the milk and stir into the chocolate batter. Pour into prepared pan(s).
8.Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Allow cake to cool 30min then remove top so its level (make sure cake come out of pan) put cake back in pan and pour simple syrup over top of the slightly warm leveled cake, cover with plastic wrap and set aside
- SIMPLE SYRUP: in a small sauce pan mix sugar and water with wooden spoon, bring to a boil, keep at a boil and reduce liquid to about 1/2 stiring all the time
- WHITE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE:
1)Put gelatin powder and cold water in a small dish and let sit for 10 minutes to soften.
2)Melt chocolate and ½ cup of the whipping cream in the top of a double boiler, stirring all the time.
3) Stir the softened gelatin into chocolate mixture, mixing well
4) transfer the mixture to a large bowl to cool until just warm, about 10 minutes. Don’t let it sit too long or the chocolate /gelatin mixture will become too firm.
Chill a large bowl and a whisk or mixer beaters in the freezer for 30 minutes before you are going to whip the cream.
5) Whip the remaining cream in the bowl with the whisk or electric mixer for 2 minutes.
6) add the vanilla and almond extract
7)continue beating until the beater leaves soft traces on the surface and the cream holds its shape when lifted with the beater, about 2-3 minutes.
8)Stir ¼ of the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture to lighten it.
9) fold in the remaining cream, 1/3 at a time, being careful not to over blend.
10) cover with plastic wrap (wrap touching surface of mousse)and refrigerate 1 hour
- Uncover cake and scoop the mousse on top of the cake refrigerate 1hr before serving
I like to use a spring form pan to bake my cake, this way I can remove the ring by placing the pan on a smaller pan unlatching the ring and sliding the ring DOWNWARD to give my cake a nice clean edge and looks professional.
ALSO CAKE TASTES EVEN BETTER IF MADE 24hr EARLIER and SITS OVERNIGHT IN THE FRIDGE!