2 3/4 call purpose flour
1 Tbspbaking powder
2/3 cvegetable shortening
1 tspvanilla extract
1/2 tspcream of tartar
1 cblack walnuts, chopped
1recipe black walnut icing, recipe follows
How to Make Black Walnut Cake
- 1. preheat oven to 350*. grease and flour 2, 9in cake pans
2. In med. bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
3. In lg. bowl and using electric mixer at med speed, beat sugar and shortening until fluffy. Add vanilla extract, beating to mix very well. Alternately add flour mixture and water to shortening mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- 4.In separate bowl beat egg whites and cream of tatar until stiff peaks form. fold egg whites into batter until well combined. Stir in Walnuts. pour into prepared pans.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly touched. cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes, turn out cake on rack and continue cooling.
- Black Walnut Icing
2 1/2 cups heavy cream, 1/3 cup sugar, 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1/2 cup finely chopped black wlanuts.
In bowl, combine heavy cream and sugar. Beat at med. speed until soft peaks form. Add, vanilla extract and beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in black walnuts. refrigerate until ready to use.
Cake should be refrigerated.