How to Make Black Forrest Cake
- Drain cherries, reserving 1/2 cup juice. Combine reserved cherry juice, cherries, granulated sugar and cornstarch in saucepan. Cook and stir over low heat until thickened. Add vanilla and stir.
- Split each cake layer in half horizontally. Crumble one half layer; set aside.
- Beat cold whipping cream and the confectioners sugar in large bowl with an electric mixer set at high speed until stiff speaks form. Reserve 1 1/2 cups whipped cream for decorative piping.
- Place one cake layer on serving plate. Spread with 1 cup whipped cream; top with 3/4 cup cherry topping. Top with second layer, 1 cup whipped cream and 3/4 cup cherry topping; with with third cake layer.
- Frost cake sides with remaining whipped cream; pat gently with reserved cake crumbs.
- Spoon reserved 1 1/2 cups whipped cream into pastry bag fitted wit star tip; pipe around top and bottom edges of cake. Spoon remaining cherry topping over top of cake.