★★★★★ 3 votes5
2 1/2 csifted all purpose flour
2 cbrown sugar, firmly packed
1 tspkosher salt
1/2 cvegetable shortening
1 tspbaking powder
1 tspbaking soda
1 tspground cinnamon
1 Tbspdistilled white vinegar
How to Make Bishop's Bread
- Preheat oven to 375-degrees. Grease a 9"x13" baking dish. Set aside.
- With mixer, combine flour, brown sugar, and salt. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until it resembles the texture of coarse meal. Set aside 3/4 cup of this mixture in a small bowl to use as the topping.
- Add baking powder, soda and cinnamon to the bowl and mix. Stir in milk, vinegar and egg until mixture is smooth.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle with the reserved crumb topping.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden. Allow to cool in pan before cutting into 3"x2" squares. Serve warm or at room temperature.