Beignets du Vanille Francais
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 1/2 clukewarm water
1/2 cgranulated sugar
1 pkgactive dry yeast
2 largeeggs, slightly beaten
1 1/2 tspsalt
1 cevaporated milk
1 1/2 tspvanilla extract
7 cbread flour
3 cconfectioners sugar
·nonstick cooking spray
·canola or vegetable oil for deep frying
How to Make Beignets du Vanille Francais
- Mix water, granulated sugar and yeast in a large bowl. Set aside and let sit for 10 mins.
- In seperate bowl - beat the eggs, vanilla, evaporated milk and salt together.
- Stir egg mixture into yeast mixture.
- Add 3 cups of the flour to yeast mix and stir to combine.
- Add shortening and continue to stir as you add the remaining flour.
- Move dough to lightly floured surface or use food processor/Kitchenaid feature and knead til smooth.
- Spray large bowl with cooking spray, place dough in it and cover with warm, damp cloth. Let dough rise in a warm place for 2 hrs.
- On a floured surface, punch out dough and knead a couple of times - then roll out into 1/4" thickness. Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut into strips and then into 2" squares.
- Heat oil in deep fryer or a deep pot to 350 degrees. (Its very important that the oil is hot enough and deep enough or the inside of the beignet will be doughy and uncooked) Fry til golden, turning over the squares so they are fried evenly.
- Put confectioners sugar in a brown paper sack. As the beignets come out of the oil, drain them slightly on a paper towel, then tranfer to the confectioners sugar and shake to coat.