BASIC YELLOW CAKE MADE FROM SCRATCH
Jo Anne Sugimoto
How to Make BASIC YELLOW CAKE MADE FROM SCRATCH
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans, or one 9x13-inch baking pan, or 24 to 30 cupcake wells with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar together on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Add vanilla and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add flour mixture 1 cup at a time, alternating with the buttermilk until all is combined. Do not over mix the batter, just enough to remove all the lumps.
- Pour the batter into prepared pans and rap the pans on the counter a couple of times to remove air bubbles.
- Bake round cake pans at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes. The 9x13 pan for 35 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. The cupcake tins for about 20 to 25 minutes or until the top of the cupcakes spring back when lightly touched.
- Cool round cakes for 10 minutes before loosening, then carefully turn out the cake onto a sugar dusted piece of parchment paper, and allow to finish cooling on the wire rack.
- Cool 9x13 pan and cupcake tins completely on wire racks before frosting.