How to Make Basic Steps to making Cake Balls
- Prepare and bake cake mix according to directions on box. While warm, crumble the cake into a bowl with a electric mixer to a fine texture. Mix in frosting to make a paste, using 3/4 to a full can of frosting, according to taste. Chill this mixture for at least 2 hours.
- Using a melon baller, your hands, or a one inch scooper, form the mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls. Place on wax paper, freeze at least 6 hours.
- Working in small batches, remove the balls from the freezer and dip them into warm melted almond bark or confections wafer coating; using forks or toothpicks or a dipping tool to manipulate the balls, roll to cover them completely in the chocolate, if necessary. Place balls on waxed paper to harden. Makes 30
- CHOCOLATE COATING: 20 ounce size vanilla or chocolate. Melt in double boiler, stirring constantly or in a tall, narrow container, microwave bark for 1 minute at 70%. Continue to heat in 10 second intervals on high, stirring between intervals. When bark is melted, stir in 1 teaspoon oil. When it comes to coloring white chocolate, use an Oil based food coloring only...that little 4 pack of food coloring you find in your grocery store is water based and WILL seize up your chocolate. Stir in an oil based coloring to the white chocolate..., drop by drop until you achieve the desired color.
- You can easily find oil based food coloring in the baking aisle of a major craft store. Everyone knows the name WILTON, they make an oil based food coloring. I believe you can even find it at Wal-mart, Meijer...look in the specialty baking section where they sell Wilton cake pans..you should find it there.
- Something I have just learned recently...Do NOT attempt to flavor almond bark with extracts...extracts will cause coating to seize up and become useless.
- SUGGESTIONS FOR FLAVOR COMBINATIONS FOR THE CAKE BALLS:
- For Kids: Pillsbury Funfetti cake mix, and white frosting. Rainbow colored sprinkles. After mixing the cake and frosting; gently fold in 2 T. sprinkles. Immediately afer coating balls, sprinkle with more rainbow sprinkles on the top part of the balls before coating sets up.
- A favorite...Red velvet mixed with cream cheese frosting; coat with chocolate.
Or devils food with chocolate frosting, and dark chocolate coating.
- Strawberry cake with Strawberry frosting...coat with half of almond bark and half of milk chocolate chips melted together. Save a little of the white chocolate to color with hot pink or red coloring and drizzle on top of coating.
- Yellow cake with buttercream frosting and add orange oil coloring to vanilla coating. This is great for Fall!
- German chocolate cake with coconut-pecan icing and milk chocolate or light chocolate flavor coating.
- Spice or carrot cake with my Cinnamon cream cheese frosting and a Vanilla coating. Melt Cinnamon morsels and drizzle on top of balls.
- Lemon cake with lemon frosting, and vanilla coating.
- Chocolate cake with vanilla frosting and mint-flavored coating with lightly tinted with green oil based food coloring.
- It is endless what we can do with these little sweet treats...I am sure there will be many more to be added..hope these ideas help, and have fun..and be creative!!!! ENJOY!
- Also, all can be put on a lollipop stick...dip one end of the stick into the chocolate and then push halfway into cake balls...allow chocolate to set completely before picking up in hand.