How to Make Basic One Layer White Cake
- 1Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease and dust with flour a single 9-inch round cake pan for a single layer cake. Dust two if you are doubling the recipe for a layer cake.
- 21. Cream the sugar, salt, and shortening together. Add the egg and beat until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla.
- 32. In another bowl, mix the flour and baking powder together.
- 43. Add about one-third of the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and mix briefly. Add about one-third of the milk and mix. Continue twice more with the remaining flour and milk. Do not over mix. Scrape the batter into the pan.
- 54. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the cake tests done with a toothpick.
Let the cake rest in the pan for about five minutes and then remove it to a wire rack to continue cooling.