Banana Upside Down Cake
Blue Ribbon Recipe
Yum, yum, yum! We were unable to find banana cake mix in our area, so substituted a butter cake mix and 1 teaspoon of banana extract instead. The finished cake was simply divine. The Test Kitchen
1 cbrown sugar, firmly packed
6 Tbspbutter, cut into small pieces
1/4 cKirsch (cherry brandy, optional)
6-8bananas, peeled and sliced lengthwise
110 oz. bottle maraschino cherries, drained and lightly chopped
1banana flavored cake mix, or a yellow cake mix with 1 teaspoon banana extract.
1/4 cpoppy seeds
How to Make Banana Upside Down Cake
- Evenly spread the brown sugar and butter in the bottom of 9x13 cake pan. Pour in the optional Kirsch.
- Press the bananas flat side down into the brown sugar and butter. Sprinkle the cherries over the bananas.
- Prepare the cake mix according to box directions and carefully pour over the fruit. Sprinkle the poppy seeds over the batter.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes. Check with a toothpick or table knife and add a few more minutes if not done. It will pull away from the edges a bit when ready.
- Let it cool for 20 minutes and place a small cutting board on the cake pan and then flip it over. Serve from the cutting board.
Note: The alcohol in the Kirsch evaporates, leaving a slightly nutty cherry taste.