Banana Upside Down Cake
Blue Ribbon Recipe
Yum, yum, yum! We were unable to find banana cake mix in our area, so substituted a butter cake mix and 1 teaspoon of banana extract instead. The finished cake was simply divine. The Test Kitchen
- 1 c
- brown sugar, firmly packed
- 6 Tbsp
- butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 c
- Kirsch (cherry brandy, optional)
- bananas, peeled and sliced lengthwise
- 10 oz. bottle maraschino cherries, drained and lightly chopped
- banana flavored cake mix, or a yellow cake mix with 1 teaspoon banana extract.
- 1/4 c
- poppy seeds
How to Make Banana Upside Down Cake
- 1Evenly spread the brown sugar and butter in the bottom of 9x13 cake pan. Pour in the optional Kirsch.
- 2Press the bananas flat side down into the brown sugar and butter. Sprinkle the cherries over the bananas.
- 3Prepare the cake mix according to box directions and carefully pour over the fruit. Sprinkle the poppy seeds over the batter.
- 4Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes. Check with a toothpick or table knife and add a few more minutes if not done. It will pull away from the edges a bit when ready.
- 5Let it cool for 20 minutes and place a small cutting board on the cake pan and then flip it over. Serve from the cutting board.
Note: The alcohol in the Kirsch evaporates, leaving a slightly nutty cherry taste.