BANANA SPLIT CRUNCH CAKE (SALLYE)
I hope you try it and enjoy it.
1 cgranulated sugar
1 cbrown sugar, firmly packed
1 stick(1/2 cup) butter, softened
2 or 3 mediumoverripe bananas
1/2 csweetened shredded coconut
1 tspbaking soda
1 tsppure vanilla extract
1/2 csour cream
1 largeegg, slightly beaten
1/2 cpecans, finely minced
1 jar(s)(14 oz) strawberry fruit topping at room temperature***
How to Make BANANA SPLIT CRUNCH CAKE (SALLYE)
- ***I used Duncan Hines Strawberry Fruit topping because that is what I had, but any brand will probably work
- Preheat oven to 350º
Place a 9" square baking dish in work area
- Sift flour and both sugars together in a large mixing bowl.
Cut softened butter into 1" cubes and add to bowl.
- Mix on low speed until mixture is blended and crumbly (it should resemble corn meal)
- Take out 1/2 cup of the crumb mixture and set aside for later use.
- Take out 1-1/2 cups of crumb mixture and spread out evenly in the bottom of the ungreased 9" square baking dish, pressing gently to even out.
- Gently spread the strawberry fruit topping over the crumbs, leaving about an inch all around from the edge.
Be careful not to move the crumb mixture around while you are spreading the topping.
- Sprinkle the finely minced pecans over the fruit topping'
- Now back to remaining crumb mixture.
Add all remaining ingredients and beat at medium speed until well blended and smooth.
(The bananas will mash up when beating)
- Gently pour or ladle this onto the fruit topping, again taking care not to disturb the bottom layer of crumb mixture. Smooth out to even the top.
- Sprinkle the 1/2 cup of crumb mixture you have reserved over the top, covering it entirely.
- Place in preheated oven and bake 40-50 minutes until top is golden brown and cake is firm to touch (it will give a little but that's okay)
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
Do not cut for at least an hour to allow time for the fruit to reset up.