Banana Orange Loaf
Today, as I share this from my handwritten copy, we will enjoy it as much as the first time I made this ...back in 1977 :)
I hope y'all enjoy it as much as we do!
- 1 1/4 c
- white sugar
- 3/4 c
- melted margarine (or sub.butter)
- 3 large
- 1 c
- banana mashed (about 3 lg)
- 1/3 c
- orange juice (fresh or carton)
- 21/2 c
- all purpose flour or whole wheat can be sub.or mix of 50/50
- 2 tsp
- baking soda
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 c
- chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans) roast nuts add more flavour
- 1/2 c
- quality seedless raisins
- 1 Tbsp
- grated orange zest
How to Make Banana Orange Loaf
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees:
Combine sugar and margarine (or butter). Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- 2Add mashed bananas and orange juice. Mix well.
Add combined dry ingredients, mixing until just moistened. Stir in (roasted) chopped nuts and orange zest and raisins.
- 3Pour into a greased and floured 9x5 inch loaf pan.
Bake for 1 hour and 15 min., or until a cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean.
- 4Cool in pan for 5-10 minutes then remove from pan.
While loaf is still HOT, cover loaf with a few tablespoons of fresh honey or marmalade or both. Smear over top (it will melt and be easy to spread)
- 5A touch of fresh orange juice may be added to mix of honey and marmalade. Be sure to GLAZE HEAVY. Sprinkle with coarse white sugar.
- 6Finish cooling on rack for approx. 2-3 hrs. Cover loosely while cooling. When completely cool, wrap well in plastic wrap and foil. May be stored in freezer up to 2 months.
Store in fridge for 1-2 wks. Store on shelf for approx.2-3 days. (you will want to eat before the time is up :)