★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 boxyellow cake mix
1/3 cvegetable oil
1 cbrown bananas, smashed
1/4 tspbaking soda
FOR THE CARAMEL:
1/4 cheavy whipping cream
FOR THE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
1 stickbutter softened
8 ozcream cheese, softened
4 cpowdered sugar
1 tspvanilla extract
1 Tbspheavy cream, if needed for consistency
How to Make Banana Cake With Caramel Filling
- preheat oven to 350.
- line 2 6 inch round cake pans with parchment paper and butter and flour them or use floured cooking spray.
- you will have some batter left over. you can also use 2 8 inch pans or 2 9 inch pans for thinner layers.
- mix cake mix, water, oil, eggs and baking soda in a large bowl on low for 1 minute.
- increase speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes. reduce mixer back to low or stir for a stand mixer and mix in bananas.
- fill prepared pans 2/3 full. (if you are using 6 inch pans you will have some batter left over. make cupcakes.
- make the caramel: while the cake is in the oven add the caramels and whipping cream to a microwave safe bowl.
- heat on high in 30 second increments, stirring between each to help melt caramel.
- once caramel is completely melted, place in the refrigerator to cool completely.
- note: this makes enough caramel filling for a 6 inch layer cake. double recipe for a larger cake.
- when getting ready to frost the cake, remove cooled caramel from the refrigerator.
- it will be stiff. beat with a hand mixer until the caramel becomes more creamy, only a few minutes.
- now it is like a thin frosting you can fill your cake with.
- make the frosting: beat butter and cream cheese until fluffy.
- slowly beat in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, mixing until frosting has formed.
- mix in vanilla. if needed for consistency, add heavy cream, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- to assemble your cake, place some frosting in a pastry bag fitted with your choice of tip (i used a 1M).
- if needed, trim the top of your cake layers to make them level. place 1 layer on cake pan.
- pipe a rim around the edge with cream cheese frosting, creating a barrier for the caramel filling.
- evenly spread caramel on the bottom layer. place top cake layer on the caramel.
- frost the cake as directed. ( i frosted the entire cake with a thin crumb coat of frosting and then piped rosettes on the sides with my 1M tip.
- i didn't have enough frosting to do rosettes on the top, so i made it smooth and added sprinkles.
- Note: to decorate the entire cake with rosettes or similar or for a larger cake, double the frosting.