How to Make Baked Alaska
- 1Split pound cake in half horizontally and, in an ovenproof dish, place halves side by side, forming a square. Top with slices of ice cream, about 4 inches thick. Put in freezer until good and firm.
- 2While ice cream is in freezer, make meringue. Make sure bowl and beaters are grease free. Beat egg white with cream of tartar until foamy. Gradually beat in sugar and continuing beating until peaks form and hold their shape.
- 3Remove ice cream from freezer and spread meringue over cake and ice cream, making sure to seal totally, otherwise ice cream will melt.
- 4Bake in lower third of oven, at 500, for 3-4 minutes or until peaks are light brown. Slice and serve immediately.
- 5Individual servings can be made by using dessert shells from the supermarket.