Aunt Susan's Caramel Cream Cake
Blue Ribbon Recipe
More caramel in color than flavor, this terrifically moist cake is rich with the taste of coffee and cocoa. Absolutely divine. The Test Kitchen
1 cbutter, room temperature
2 1/2 csugar
5eggs, separated (reserve 1 yolk for frosting)
3 ccake flour
1 tspcocoa, unsweetened
1 tspbaking soda
5 Tbspstrong brewed coffee (1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon)
2 tspvanilla extract
CARAMEL CREAM FROSTING
2 tspcocoa, unsweetened
1 lbconfectioners' sugar, sifted
1/2 cbutter, room temperature
1egg yolk, beaten
3 Tbspstrong brewed coffee, cooled
1 Tbspvanilla extract
How to Make Aunt Susan's Caramel Cream Cake
- Using electric mixer on medium high speed, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add 4 beaten egg yolks and continue beating.
- Sift flour, salt and cocoa together.
- Dissolve baking soda in buttermilk.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk mixture to the creamed mixture, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
- Blend in coffee and vanilla.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry and fold into batter.
- Pour into three greased and floured 8-inch cake pans.
- Bake in 375° oven for 25 minutes.
- Frost with Caramel Cream Icing between layers, sides and top.
- For caramel cream icing:
- Sift cocoa and confectioner's sugar together.
- In mixer, cream butter and sugar/cocoa mixture together thoroughly.
- Add egg yolk, coffee and vanilla. Beat until soft and fluffy. Frost cake.
- NOTE: There is an uncooked, beaten egg yolk in the frosting. I have always used it and it has never caused a problem, however, if you are concerned, internet research gave suggestions of
1)just leave it out, may change texture and richness of frosting
2)substitute pasteurized egg product and use 1/2 the amount listed for 1 egg
3) pasteurize your own egg yolk by heating the egg, whisking constantly, until it reaches 160º. Done over hot simmering water it won't cook solid but will kill bacteria.
4) use reconstituted powdered egg
I HAVE NEVER TRIED ANY OF THESE ALTERNATIVES AND DON'T KNOW WHAT THE FINAL RESULT WOULD BE.