2 csifted flour
2 tspbaking powder
1/8 tspfreshly grated nutmeg
1 cbrown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cbutter, softened
1 largetart apple, pared, cored and thinly sliced
How to Make APPLE SHORTCAKE
- Heat oven 350. grease 9" pie plate. Bake 45 minutes until center is firm.
- Sift together dry ingredients into a large bowl, stir in brown sugar, cut in 6 Tbsp, butter until crumbly. (save 1/2 cup for topping)
- Break egg in glass measuring cup; stir with fork; add milk to make 1 cup (it will take about 3/4 c.)Stir into flour mixture until well blended; pour into greased 9" pie plate
- Arrange apple slices overlapping in two circles on top of crumbs.
- Sprinkle with saved 1/2 c. crumb mixture and dot with saved 1 Tbsp butter. Sprinkle lightly with sugar. Bake 45 minutes.
- Serve warm. Plain, with ice cream or whipped cream.