1HOW YOU DO IT:
1. Place apple cider in a small saucepan over high heat and reduce to 1/4 cup. Remove from the heat and reserve.
2. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
3. In a separate bowl, cream the butter, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, and the brown sugar. Mix in the egg. Mix in the vanilla, buttermilk, and reserved cider. Working in batches, add the flour mixture to the butter-sugar mixture, mixing until just blended. Add the finely diced apple. Cover the mixture and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out dough to a rough disk about 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch thick. Cut the dough using a 2 1/2-inch doughnut cutter. Reserve the “holes.”
5. Fill a deep pan or deep fryer with about 2 inches of oil, and heat to between 350 and 375 degrees. Place four or five doughnuts in at a time, and fry until deep golden brown on each side, about 2 to 4 minutes a side. Allow the doughnuts to drain on a platter lined with paper towels. Fry the “holes” separately.
6. In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1/4 cup sugar with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Dust the doughnuts with cinnamon-sugar and serve warm! If desired, serve with blueberry ginger jam for dipping or spreading.
NOTE ON REUSING THE DOUGH
*While you are frying the doughnuts, you can ball-up the unused dough, refrigerate it, and then roll it out again for another batch of doughnuts!