Apple Cider Donuts
Blue Ribbon Recipe
This recipe has converted me from a yeast donut lover, to a cake donut lover. The apple cider was very subtle, but, oh boy, did it add to the amazing flavor! The Test Kitchen
1 capple cider
1/4 csolid vegetable shortening
3 1/2 call-purpose flour
2 tspbaking powder
1 tspbaking soda
1/2 tspiodized salt
·enough vegetable oil or shortening to fill 3 inches of a frying pan
1 ccinnamon/sugar mixture to coat donuts
How to Make Apple Cider Donuts
- Boil apple cider in small saucepan until it is reduced to 1/4 cup, 8 to 10 minutes; cool.
- Beat sugar with shortening until smooth. Add eggs and mix well, then add buttermilk and reduced cider.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg in another bowl.
- Add to liquid ingredients; mix just enough to combine.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured board and pat to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut with 2 1/2- to 3-inch doughnut cutter; reserve doughnut holes and reroll and cut scraps.
- Add enough oil or shortening to fill a deep pan 3 inches; heat to 375 F. Fry several doughnuts at a time, turning once or twice, until browned and cooked through, about 4 minutes.
- Remove to paper towels with slotted spoon.
- While still warm, carefully shake a few at a time in a paper bag containing cinnamon sugar.
- Cool on a rack.