Apple Cake with Hot Caramel Sauce
- ½ cup pecans or walnuts, finely chopped
- 2 large cooking apples cut into small cubes (2-1/2 cups)
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- whipped cream
- caramel sauce:
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup evaporated milk
How to Make Apple Cake with Hot Caramel Sauce
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 3Lightly oil a 8 or 9 inch cake pan: set aside.
- 5Mix in the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg, mixing until combined. Stir in the apples and nuts. ( Mixture will be thick).
- 10To serve, ladle 1-2 tablespoons of the hot Caramel sauce onto serving plates. Place a wedge of cake on top of Caramel sauce. Drizzle a little more sauce over the cake. Garnish with a dollop of whipped cream. Enjoy!
- 11Note: The sauce can be made ahead of time and then reheated in the microwave. You can also spoon out a tablespoon or 2 on a saucer, and reheat that amount up for a single serving. The cake should be served warm, or at least room temperature for the best flavor. :)