Apple Butter Pecan Cupcakes w/Caramel Butter Cream
Diane Hopson Smith
It's also useful in baking cakes and breads, adding moisture and reducing fat.
These cupcakes were wonderful even with the very rich frosting. Sorry couldn't reduce the fat there!
I used homemade apple butter, but store bought will work just the same.
Slow Cooked Spicy Apple-Pear Butter
Hope you enjoy!
1(1 lb 2.25 oz) yellow cake mix
1 tspground cinnamon
1/2 tspground nutmeg
1/4 tspground ginger
1/4 tspground cloves
1/3 cbutter, softened
1/2 ctoasted pecans, chopped
1/3 capple butter
BROWN SUGAR CARAMEL FROSTING
1/2 cdark brown sugar
1/2 cbutter, melted
6 to 8 Tbsphalf and half
2 lbpowdered sugar
1/2 cbutter, softened
1/4 tspsalt, optional
1 tsppure vanilla extract
How to Make Apple Butter Pecan Cupcakes w/Caramel Butter Cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line jumbo cupcake tins with paper liners. This recipe made 10 jumbo cupcakes. (This recipe would make 24 regular size cupcakes, you would need to adjust baking time)
- In a large mixing bowl combine cake mix and seasoning; whisk.
- Add buttermilk, softened butter and eggs; mix on low with electric hand mixer for 30 seconds. Scrape sides down. Increase speed to medium and beat 2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl as needed.
- Stir in pecans and apple butter. Divide batter evenly between 10 muffin cups.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until cake tester or wood toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean. (If baking regular, adjust baking time to 20 to 25 minutes)
- Remove from oven; cool for 10 minutes in pan. Remove cupcakes from pan to wire rake and cool completely (about 30 minutes) before frosting.
- CARAMEL BUTTER CREAM FROSTING:
Combine brown sugar, melted butter and 4 Tbsp of half and half in a microwave save bowl; whisk to combine. Heat on high for about 2 minutes or until mixture comes to a full boil. Watch to ensure mixture does not boil over. I used a large batter bowl.
- Remove from microwave; cool for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Place powdered sugar, softened butter and 1 or 2 Tbsp half and half in bowl of electric mixer; mix on low for 1 minute and then increase speed to medium and mix for about 2 minutes. Add vanilla and cooled brown sugar mixture; mix for 4 to 5 minutes. Add additional cream if too dry or additional powdered sugar for a stiffer frosting.
- NOTES: there was more frosting than I needed for 10 cupcakes. Would be about right for 24 regular size cupcakes or a 2 layer cake.
You could use a spice cake mix, however, you would need to eliminate spices.