Anniversary Coconut Cake with Lime Curd Filling
desserts are not to his absolute liking, but this cake is one he really can get into. He says it reminds him of our honeymoon in Key West. I make it once a year and it's for our anniversary, unfortunately I skipped it for 2 years in a row, but it was because both of us were away from each other. This year is our 10th and once he sees the lime curd from the British grocery store, he'll get the hint, our anniversary is near.
- 2 1/2 c
- cake flour
- 2 1/4 tsp
- baking powder
- 3/4 tsp
- 1 1/3 c
- whole milk
- 2 1/4 tsp
- madagascar pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 stick
- unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 c
- granulated sugar
- 3 large
- 1 1/2 c
- sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 jar(s)
- 11.5 oz lime curd
- prepared seven minute coconut frosting
How to Make Anniversary Coconut Cake with Lime Curd Filling
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2Grease two 9x12 round cake pans, then use parchment paper to line bottoms. Grease the paper and dust pans with flour.
- 3Stir together vanilla and milk; set aside.
- 4Sift together the cake flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- 5Use a stand mixer's paddle attachment to beat butter on medium speed until creamy and smooth. (Should take apx 1-2 mins.)
- 6Add the sugar to the butter and beat until fluffy (apx 5 mins), scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- 7One at a time add eggs to the butter mixture, beating well after each addition.
- 8Turn mixer down to low speed and begin adding the flour mixture. Add 1/3 of the flour, then a little of the milk mixture. Do this until it's all combined. Be careful not to over beat - Mix each addition until just incorporated.
- 9Pour batter into the pans, spreading evenly. Bake until the cakes begin to pull away from the sides. This should take about 35-45 minutes. Do the toothpick test before removing them from the oven... to make sure the cakes are done in the middle.
- 10Let cool, then cut off the rounded tops to create a level surface. Then, cut each cake in half (horizontally).
- 11Stack cakes, alternating layers of lime curd and frosting. Frost with remaining icing and enjoy!