- 1 c
- pineapple juice
- 1/2 c
- 2 Tbsp
- butter, unsalted
- 1 pinch
- angel food cake mix
- 16 oz
- vanilla frosting
- 2 Tbsp
- orange juice, fresh
- 1 Tbsp
- orange zest
- 30 oz
- canned mandarin oranges, drained
- 20 oz
- pineapple slices, drained and cut into quarters
- 8 oz
- cream cheese frosting
- 2 c
- sweetened shredded coconut, toasted -recipe follows
How to Make AMBROSIA CAKE
- 1PINEAPPLE CURD: Bring juice from canned pineapple to a boil. Whisk together, eggs and sugar in medium bowl. Add to pineapple juice, whisking continuously, over medium heat until it becomes thick, about 3-4 minutes.
- 2Take off heat, stir in butter and salt. Pour in small bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
- 3CAKE: Bake cake according to package directions. When cooled, slice horizontal into 3 even layers.
- 4Take vanilla frosting, orange juice and orange zest; stir to combine.
- 5Place bottom layer of cake on platter, spread 1/2 of orange frosting on bottom layer, top with mandarin oranges.
- 6Place another layer of cake on top, spread pineapple curd over this layer and top with 4 slices of pineapple rings, cut into 1/2.
- 7Add a third layer of cake, frost all around the sides with rest of orange frosting. Frost top with cream cheese frosting.
- 8Cut 4 pineapple rings into quarters and layer on top of cream cheese frosting. Add the second can of drained, mandarin oranges on this layer with the pineapple.
- 9Press toasted coconut into sides and on top of cake.
- 10HOW TO TOAST COCONUT: Spread 8 oz flaked (I prefer flake) or shredded and sweetened coconut evenly on a large oven pan in pre heated oven @ 350. Watch carefully (10 - 12 minutes) until very light brown in color. Remove from oven and cool completely.