Almond Joy Layer Cake
Jo Ann Gullett
2/3 cunsweetened cocoa powder
1 stickunsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
3 oz.semisweet choclate, chopped
2 1/4 cgranulated sugar
4 tsppure vanilla extract
1/2 tspsalt, plus a big pinch
1 1/2 cflour
1 1/2 tspbaking powder
1 tspbaking soda
1 bag(s)(14 oz.) sweetened shredded coconut
2 csliced almonds
3 cheavy cream
1/3 cconfectioner's sugar
How to Make Almond Joy Layer Cake
- Preheat oven to 325*. butter 2 8 x 2 inch round cake pans. Line w/ parchment and butter the parchment.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2/3 cup water to a boil. Whisk in the cocoa powder until smooth. Whisk in the butter and chocolate over low heat until melted, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat & whisk in 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, 2 tsp. vanilla, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Whisk in 1 egg @ a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Pour in the chocolate mixture until smooth. Stir in 1 packed cup coconut. Divide the batter between the pans and bake for 35 minutes or until firm in the center. Let cool in the pans on racks for 10 minutes, then invert onto racks to cool completely.
- While the cake cools, spread the almonds on a rimmed baking sheet and toast for 12 minutes; let cool.
- In a saucepan, combine 3/4 cup cream, the remaining 3/4 cup granulated sugar and pinch salt and simmer, stirring, over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat, and stir in the remaining 2 tsp. vanilla and 3 packed cups coconut. When cool, fold in 1 1/2 cups almonds.
- Split the cake layers to make 4 layers. Place 1 layer cut side up on a cake stand, and spread w/ 1 cup of the coconut-almond mixture. Top with the second layer cut side down, and spread with 1 cup more of the mixture. Repeat with the remaining 2 cake layers and filling, spreading the filling on top.
- Cover the cake with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours to firm up.
- Whip the remaining 2 1/4 cups of cream with the confectioners' sugar until stiff. Spread over the cake Sprinkle the top with the remaining almonds.