Abe's Cherry Chocolate Cake
- 1 pkg
- chocolate cake mix (18 oz)
- 2 can(s)
- cherry pie filling (21 oz each)
- 1 tsp
- vanilla or almond extract
- 1 box
- instant chocolate pudding mix (4 oz)
- 1 stick
- butter or margarine
- 1/4 c
- vegetable oil
- 1/2 c
- sour milk, buttermilk or sweet milk
- 1/3 can(s)
- white frosting or 1/3 cup chocolate syrup (optional)
How to Make Abe's Cherry Chocolate Cake
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13”x9" pan with nonstick spray and lay a small sheet of waxed paper in bottom of pan. Spray top of waxed paper and set pan aside.
- 2In large bowl, combine soft butter, milk, oil, 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract, and eggs. Mix until blended. Add cake mix and pudding mix. Beat until well mixed.
- 3If you want your cherries in smaller pieces like I do, add 1 can of cherry filling now and then beat 1 minute at medium speed. If you want the cherries intact, beat the mix for 1 minute at medium then fold in the filling.
- 4Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-40 minutes or until cake is set-and inserted knife will come out clean, Cake will be soft.
- 5Let cool for 5 minutes and then turn cake over onto a serving tray or, as I do, a plastic 13x9 storing/serving container. (You’ll have to shove the sides down to fit in with your hands if using a container. This makes a higher wall on rim of cake to hold the filling.) Peel away the wax paper from top of cake.
- 6Spread another can of cherry pie filling over the top of the cake. Drizzle ¼ cup melted white frosting (in microwave for 20 secs and stir well) or room temp chocolate syrup over the cherry filling. Serve warm or chilled. Do not leave out at room temp. Cover after cooled completely in fridge.
- 7Variation: instead of adding the ½ cup milk to the batter, substitute ½ cup strong cold coffee.