1-2-3-4 Cake with Caramel Icing
- 2 stick
- 2 c
- 3 c
- 3 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 c
- 1 tsp
- pure vanilla extract
- 1 stick
- 1 c
- dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 c
- 2 c
- powdered sugar, well sifted
How to Make 1-2-3-4 Cake with Caramel Icing
- 1Preheat oven 350.
- 2In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer until smooth add the eggs and continue beating until smooth.
- 3In a bowl, mix the flour and baking powder together and add alternately with the milk to the butter mixture, beating steadily until smooth.
- 4Add the vanilla and beat until well blended.
- 5Grease and flour three 9 inch cake pans, divide the batter evenly among the pans, "spank" the bottom of the pans to distribute the batter evenly, and bake until a straw inserted in centers comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool completely.
- 6Meanwhile, to make the icing: melt the butter over low heat in a saucepan, add the brown sugar and milk, bring to a boil and remove from the heat to cool.
- 7Add the powdered sugar and mix until well blended.
- 8When the cake layers are cooled, remove from the pans, place one layer on a cake plate and spread one third of the icing on the layer.
- 9Place a second layer over the icing and spread with more icing.
- 10Top with the third layer and spread icing over the top and around the sides.