Apple Cinnnamon Empanadas (Turnovers)
How to Make Apple Cinnnamon Empanadas (Turnovers)
- Preheat over to 350 coat sheets with cooking spray or line with parchment paper set aside
- Peel and dice apples up, Place in saucepan with sugar cinnamon and nutmeg over low-medium heat. Stir constantly until apples are soft, about 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat and set in refridgerator to cool.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in the shortening until pieces are the size of small peas. Add water to slightly moisten. Form dough into a ball.
On a lightly floured surface roll out the dough to about 1/8 inch thick and using a 3 1/2-inch to 4-inch round cookie cutter, cut out dough circles. Take the dough scraps, work them together, reroll, and cut out as many circles as possible.
- Whisk together the egg and water to make an egg wash. Place a large spoonful of the apple mixture in the center of each dough circle. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the egg wash around the edge of half of each circle of dough, about 1/3-inch from the edge. Fold the dough over the filling so that the edges meet and using the tines of a fork, press the edges together.
- Arrange the empanadas 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Lightly brush tops of empanadas with egg wash. Bake in preheated oven for 17-20 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove the empanadas from oven and let them sit at least 5 minutes before serving.