Chilled Salmon Salad with Orange Citrus Onions
- 4 salmon fillets
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 c. red onion, chopped
- 1/2 c. dry white wine (or 1/4 cup each lemon juice and water)
- 3 med. yellow onions, sliced
- 3 tbs. olive oil
- 2 tsp. orange peel, grated
- 1 tsp. lime peel, grated
- 3/4 c. orange juice
- 5 oz. mixed dark leafy salad greens, about 4 cups loosely packed
- fresh dill sprigs or italian parsley
How to Make Chilled Salmon Salad with Orange Citrus Onions
- 1Sprinkle salmon with salt and pepper.
- 2Portion red onion onto salmon fillets and press on evenly with back of spoon.
- 3Pour wine into 10 inch skillet and heat until bubbling at the edges. Set salmon in wine, return liquid to a gentle boil and cover.
- 4Let cook gently without turning for 6 or 7 minutes or until salmon is cooked through and topping is rosy. Chill fish and liquid.
- 5For Orange Citrus Onions: Heat oil in a large skillet, add yellow onions and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until golden.
- 6Remove from heat and mix in orange and lime peels and orange juice. Cover and chill.
- 7To serve, portion lettuce onto 4 plates. Top with salmon fillets.
- 8Lift onions from liquid with slotted spoon or fork and top salmon.
- 9Spoon juice from onions over salmon and lettuce. Garnish with dill.