Welsh Pancakes (Crempog)
2 ozunsalted butter
10 ozall-purpose flour
1 tspbaking soda
2 largeeggs, beaten
How to Make Welsh Pancakes (Crempog)
- Warm the buttermilk on the stove top over low heat. Add the butter and stir until melted (be careful not to scorch the buttermilk).
- Place the flour in a large bowl and slowly pour the warmed buttermilk mixture into it and then beat well to create a thick batter. Let stand for a minimum of 30 minutes, or better yet up to 1-2 hours.
- Stir the sugar, baking soda, salt and vinegar into the eggs (that have been well beaten). Then, add this mixture to the flour and milk mixture and beat well (can use a mixer) to form a smooth batter without lumps.
- Grease an iron griddle well (or heavy frying pan) and heat, over medium heat, until it's hot but not smoking. Drop the batter, one large tablespoon at a time, and cook for a few minutes or until golden brown. Flip the pancake and finish cooking on the other side. Continue until all the pancakes are done. You can keep the cooked pancakes warm by wrapping them in a towel.
- Serve the pancakes with butter and jam!