Mint Chocolate Chip Pancakes
Vicki Butts (lazyme)
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1 1/3 call purpose flour
1 Tbspgranulated sugar
1 tspbaking powder
1/2 tspbaking soda
2 Tbspbutter, melted and cooled to lukewarm, plus more for cooking
1/2 tsppure vanilla extract
1/2 tsppure mint extract (see note below)
3drops green food coloring, optional
3/4 cmini semisweet chocolate chips, plus more for topping
·whipped cream for serving
·vanilla ice cream for serving, optional
·hot fudge sauce, homemade or purchased, for serving, optional
How to Make Mint Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a bowl.
- Whisk together buttermilk, egg, butter, extracts, and food coloring (if using) in a small bowl. Add to dry ingredients and stir until incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat. Add 1/2 tablespoon butter; it should sizzle and melt almost immediately. Ladle 1/4 cup of pancake batter into skillet for each pancake, taking care not to let the pancakes run together. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until bottom is golden brown and edges begin to bubble, then carefully flip and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more. Transfer to plates. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve warm with whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, hot fudge sauce, and more chocolate chips, if desired.
- Pancakes Inspired by Ice Creams
Candy Cane Pancakes:
Replace mint extract with peppermint extract. Add 1/4 cup finely chopped candy canes along with or in place of chocolate chips. Use red food coloring instead of green.
Almond Chip Pancakes:
Replace mint extract with almond extract. Add 1/4 cup chopped almonds to batter. Omit food coloring.
Plain Old Chocolate Chip Pancakes: Omit mint extract and increase vanilla extract to 1 teaspoon; omit food coloring.
- Cooks' Note:
Mint and peppermint extracts are similar but not identical in flavor. Mint extract typically contains both peppermint and spearmint, whereas pure peppermint is popular in holiday treats like candy canes. Use whichever minty extract you prefer.
- Makes 12 pancakes.