Junior's Griddle Cakes
Vicki Butts (lazyme)5
How to Make Junior's Griddle Cakes
- 1Preheat the griddle. If you do not have a griddle, preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. As you cook the cakes be sure that the skillet does not get too hot.
- 2In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together, then set aside.
- 3Using an electric mixer set on high, beat the milk and eggs until light yellow, then beat in the butter 1 tablespoon of oil, and add the vanilla. Turn off the mixer and add in the flour mixture, and beat on low just until blended and smooth, 1 to 2 minutes (do not overbeat at this stage or the pancakes can be tough).
- 4To cook the griddle cakes:
Brush the preheated griddle or skillet with enough vegetable oil to coat it well. For each cake pour a scant 1/4 cup of the batter onto the hot griddle making 4-inch cakes, about 1 inch apart. Let the cakes cook until the tops are covered with bubbles and edges look done, about 3 minutes. Quickly flip over the cakes and cook on the opposite sides until golden, about 2 minutes more.
- 5Serve immediately with hot melted butter, warm syrup, and warm apple and raisin preserves.
- 6This recipe yields 12 (4-inch) pancakes.