Welsh Rarebit (Rabbit)
Geoffry Le Cher
2 Tbspunsalted butter
1 tspdijon mustard
2 Tbspap flour
1 Tbspworcestershire sauce
1/2 tspfreshly ground black pepper
1/2 cdry, stout beer (guinness)
3/4 cheavy cream
1 1/2 cshredded cheddar cheese
1/4 tsphot sauce
4thick sliced, toasted, sourdough bread
How to Make Welsh Rarebit (Rabbit)
- MAKE THE ROUX
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt the butter and whisk in the flour.
- Cook, whisking constantly for 2 to 3 minutes, being careful not to brown the flour.
- MAKE THE SAUCE
- Whisk in mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper until smooth. Add beer and whisk to combine. (There will be some foaming.)
- Pour in cream and whisk until well combined and smooth.
- Gradually add cheese in batches, stirring constantly, until cheese melts and sauce is smooth; this will take 4 to 5 minutes. Take your time and make sure there are no lumps, then add hot sauce.
- Pour over toast and serve immediately.