Thai Rice Soup with Pork (Kao Tome)
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 3 1/2
- piece of fresh galangal or fresh ginger
- 2 stalk(s)
- fresh lemongrass, green tops discarded, halved and chopped
- 10 c
- low-sodium chicken stock
- 4 c
- 3 c
- cooked jasmine rice
- scallions (green onions), thinly sliced
- 1 lb
- ground pork
- 1 Tbsp
- fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp
- dark soy sauce
- 4 clove
- garlic, grated
- thai bird chilies, minced
- kaffir lime leaves, very thinly sliced
- 6 large
- eggs, at room temperature
- 1 c
- cilantro leaves and stems, coarsely chopped
- lemon wedges, for garnish (optional)
How to Make Thai Rice Soup with Pork (Kao Tome)
- 1Peel and thinly slice 2 inches of the galangal (or ginger), reserving the remaining 1 1/2 inches for the pork mixture. Wrap the sliced galangal and lemongrass in a piece of cheesecloth and tie with kitchen twine. Combine the chicken stock, 4 cups water and the cheesecloth packet in a deep straight-sided skillet. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the cooked rice and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until the mixture becomes thick and slightly creamy.
- 2While the rice is cooking, make the pork mixture. Peel and finely grate the remaining 1 1/2 inches of galangal. Combine the galangal, 4 of the sliced scallions, pork, fish sauce, soy sauce, garlic, chiles and kaffir lime leaves in a bowl. Using your hands, mix everything together until just combined. Set aside.
- 3Remove the cheesecloth packet from the soup and discard. Using a tablespoon as a measurement, drop rounds of the pork mixture into the simmering soup. Simmer the meatballs for 2 minutes.
- 4Crack the eggs into small individual bowls. Using the back of a ladle, make 6 small wells in the soup and slide 1 egg into each well. Cover skillet with a lid and gently simmer the eggs until the whites are just set and the yolks are still runny, for 4 to 6 minutes.
- 5To serve, ladle the soup into individual bowls, making sure each bowl gets 1 poached egg. Top each serving with remaining 2 sliced scallions and chopped cilantro. Served immediately with a lime wedge.