Tart Cherry Jam
3 lbsour cherries, stems discarded, pitted and chopped making 4 cups of finely chopped cherries
4 3/4 csugar
1 pkgsur jell
How to Make Tart Cherry Jam
- Wash Cherries
- Remove stems and pits from cherries
- Chop Cherries
- Place exact amount of cherries (4 Cups) into a 6 or 8 quart saucepan.
- Measure exact amount of sugar into a separate bowl and set aside.
- Stir 1 box of pectin into fruit, and add 1/2 tsp. of butter.
- Bring mixture to full rolling boil (a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly.
- Stir in sugar quickly. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Ladle quickly into prepared jars, filling to 1/4 inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two piece lids. Screw bands tightly. Place jars on elevated rack in canner. Lower rack into canner. Water must cover jars by 1 to 2 inches; add boiling water if needed. Cover; bring water to gentle boil. Process 10 minutes. Remove jars from canner and place upright on a towel to cool completely. After jars cool, check seals by pressing middle of lid with finger. If lid springs back, lid is not sealed and refrigeration is necessary.