Sugar Free Blueberry Cream Cheese French Toast
I'm also going to add this recipe using regular sugar for those who don't like sugar substitute.
- 12 slice
- bread - any kind, white, wheat or french
- 2 pkg
- cream cheese, low fat, room temperature
- 1 c
- blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 12 large
- 1-2 c
- milk, low-fat, add little at a time until milk is absorbed by bread
- 1/3 c
- sugar free syrup
- 1 tsp
- maple extract- optional
- 1 c
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 c
- 1 c
- 1 Tbsp
- butter or margine
How to Make Sugar Free Blueberry Cream Cheese French Toast
- 1French Toast Casserole:
Spray 9 X 13 inch dish with Pam. Cut or tear bread into cubes and arrange in the bottom of dish.
- 2Cut up two 8 oz packages of low fat cream cheese into 1 inch cubes. Drop cubes of cream cheese over the bread pieces. Sprinkle 1 cup blueberries over the top.
- 3In mixing bowl, combine 12 eggs, 2 cups low fat milk, 1/3 cup sugar free syrup and if you want add 1 teaspoon of maple extract. Pour this mixture over the bread, cream cheese and blueberries. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- 4Blueberry Sauce:
You can make this ahead of time and refrigerate, then warm up before serving.
- 5Stir together 1 cup Splenda and 2 Tbls cornstarch in a medium sauce pan. Add 1 cup water and stir until smooth. Stir well so cornstarch won't be clumpy. Heat to boiling and stir 2-3 minutes until thickened.
- 6Add 1 cup blueberries, simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until blueberries start to burst. Don't let them all burst. I like some of the blueberries whole.
- 7Turn heat off the blueberry sauce and stir in 1 Tbls butter or margerine. Store in plastic or glass container and refrigerate until ready to use.
- 8The next morning preheat oven to 350 degrees. Take casserole out of the refrigerator. Place covered cassrole in a 350 degree oven and bake for 30 minutes. Then uncover and bake for another 25-30 minutes or until top is a golden brown and the center is set.
- 9While the casserole is baking, you can heat up the blueberry sauce on top of the oven or microwave until warm. Serve over top of casserole.
- 10Prep time:
30 min to put everything together
8-24 hours - refrigerate several hours or overnight until bread is soaked through with egg, milk mixture.
Cook time: 1 hour
- 11Sauce alternative: this is what I call cheating but its very good.
Take some sugar free jam or preserves, any flavor you want, add 2 tbls cornstarch. Put in sauce pan and stir until smooth, heat until warm and thickened. At this point you can add some fresh or frozen fruit, warm up a little longer. Serve.
- 12Apparently for some people this is very soggy so please just add a little milk at a time to the bread and cream cheese. You do not want the bread to be real soggy just enough milk so the bread soaks it up. If it's soggy then after you bake it it will still be soggy!!!!