Southern Country Biscuits with Sawmill Gravy
2 call purpose flour
4 tspbaking powder
2 Tbspsausage drippings
1/2 cmilk, low-fat
1 largesausage pattie, cooked and crumbled
How to Make Southern Country Biscuits with Sawmill Gravy
- For the biscuits, combine flour, baking powder, and salt
- Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add milk and stir until blended.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface and knead 3 times.
- Pat out to 1/2-inch thickness and cut with biscuit cutter.
- Place on a greased baking sheet and bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes or until brown.
- For the Gravy:
Lightly brown the flour in the sausage drippings on medium heat.
- Add milk, water and crumbled sausage, stirring constantly until desired thickness
- Remove from heat immediately and add salt and pepper
- Serve over hot biscuits