Savory French Toast Sandwich
- 1 c
- 8 Tbsp
- (1 stick) butter, divided
- 1/4 c
- shallots, finely diced and divided
- 8 slice
- italian bread, about 1 inch thick
- 16-ounce balls fresh mozzarella, sliced into 16 pieces
- 12 oz
- smoked sausage, cut into rounds
- 16-ounce container prepared bruschetta topping*
How to Make Savory French Toast Sandwich
- 1Heat oven to 250°F. In shallow bowl, beat eggs and milk; set aside. In large skillet over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter; add 1 tablespoon shallots and sauté until fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
- 2Dip 2 slices bread in egg mixture and place in skillet with shallots. Cook until golden on both sides, 2-3 minutes per side. Place bread in single layer on baking sheet and put in oven to keep warm.
- 3Repeat with remaining butter, shallots and bread until all slices are cooked. Remove bread from oven; top each piece with 2 slices fresh mozzarella; return to oven to warm.
- 4Meanwhile, place sausage in medium non-stick skillet; sauté until browned. Add bruschetta; cook until warm, 1 to 2 minutes. To serve, place 2 French toast slices on each plate, top with sausage mixture; serve immediately.
*Prepared bruschetta topping is generally found in the deli area.