NUT CRUMB COFFEE CAKE FROM 1939-NO EGGS
- 2 cups
- cake flour
- 2 teaspoon
- baking powder
- 1/2 teaspo
- 3 Tabl
- butter or other shortening
- 1 cup
- sugar ( you can sub powered sugar for reg sugar as well
- 1 cup
- 1/2 teas
- vanilla (i use a bit more)
- 2 tabl
- 3/4 teas.
- 3/4 cup
- bread crumbs ( i used the plain store bought)
- 2 tabl
- butter melted
- you can add nut meats
How to Make NUT CRUMB COFFEE CAKE FROM 1939-NO EGGS
- 1just a quick note on cake flour, on this site I found a way to make cake flour. The lady that posted it is from Alaska, to make it
1 cup flour and 1 tablespoon corn starch to each cup of flour, the key to making it cake flour is the sifting, I did mine 8 times, works really well.
- 2Sift flour once measure, then add baking powder,salt, sift again. cream butter add sugar small amounts at a time cream well. Add flour alternately with milk, beating after each addition until smooth. Add vanilla.Pour into a 8x8 pan.
- 3TOPPING blend the melted butter, bread crumbs, sugar and cinnamon, sprinkle over the top, add nuts, let it sit about 5 mins then cut and serve.
note from the book, this is rich, sweet(but not real sweet) and tender,
- 4One would think this is a heavy cake, it's not, after it sits for the 5 mins. it is light and tender, I would like to add I did this with powder sugar as well I found the texture is finer, also I used lemon flavoring in place of the vanilla, when I did the lemon, I made a lemon glaze(lemon juice, powder sugar) added some while still hot then added a bit more later after cooling, I can't tell you how well this is for any fast and easy desert, I plan on adding almond extract the next go, I think this would do well for adding fresh fruit and a spoon of topping as a nice desert, I also tried this in a longer pan, it makes it thinner and cooks faster, for the pan I used I would say it was about 20-25 mins, pan size was a 9x11 cookie sheet with 1/2 sides. it's called a 1/4 sheet pan.