Mother Annie's Very Best Waffles
So; week-ends were our family days. Early awake, my sister and I spent part of the morning sprawled on the living-room rug reading the funnies(while our parents read the news columns) , Lil Abner, Barney Google, Prince Valiant, Brenda Starr and the Phantom of the Opera were some of our favorites. By the time we came home from Church , our mother had a Sunday Brunch ready and fit for kings and cabbage pickers. Sunday was our special day for a stack of hot waffles.
- 2 c
- sifted flour
- 4 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 tsp
- 2 c
- 4 large
- eggs, separated
- 1 c
- melted margarine or 1 cup of salad oil
How to Make Mother Annie's Very Best Waffles
- 1Preheat the waffle iron.
- 2Sift together the flour,baking powder and salt. Combine milk with the egg yolks.Beat the egg yolks.Beat the egg whites until they hold stiff peaks.
- 3Add the egg yolk mixture to the dry ingredients and beat with the electric mixer or a rotary beater until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- 4Stir in the margarine(it should be cooled a little). Fold in the beaten egg whites and leave fluffs of them in the batter.
- 5Pour batter from a pitcher on the waffle iron, leaving about an inch around the edge. Bake as usual.
- 6To freeze: Cool completely and wrap individually to be used whenever. Wonderful to have on hand.