Mammaw’s Pumpkin Bread
Pictures not mine - borrowed them from Google.com
- 3 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 (16 oz.) can pumpkin
- 2/3 c water
- 3 ½ cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 ½ tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- ¾ tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- ½ cup chopped nuts (optional)
How to Make Mammaw’s Pumpkin Bread
- 1Preheat oven 350º F. Grease and flour three regular loaf pans or eight miniature loaf pans. [I use the disposable baking pans from the dollar store; also, I will usually make a muffin pan full instead of all the mini loaves.]
- 2Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
Mix eggs, sugar and oil, beat until creamy. Add pumpkin and water, mix until a smooth mixture.
- 3Add in a third of dry ingredients; when mixed in thoroughly, add another third and continue to mix until incorporated, followed by the addition and combining the last third of the dry ingredients.
When batter is well blended, fold in the nuts, if using. Pour batter into 3 loaf pans (or 8 small loaf pans).
- 4Bake for 1 hour (45 min. for smaller pans or muffin pans). When toothpick comes out clean, remove from oven and set on wire racks to cool for 20 minutes. Carefully remove from pans and allow to cool completely.
- 5Cool slightly and remove from pans. Allow to cool completely before slicing.
- 6To store wrap tightly in plastic wrap and then place in zip lock freezer bags. These will keep for several days in the refrigerator; they also freeze well to save for later. This also makes great pumpkin bread pudding – try it with your favorite bread pudding recipe.