12 ozbutter (irish butter preferably!) ;)
2 Tbspgolden syrup (you can substitute maple syrup, honey, agave or similar)
pinchfreshly ground nutmeg, cinnamon and ground cloves
4 ozbrown sugar
4 ozgranulated sugar
1 tspvanilla extract
4 crolled oats (i prefer old fashioned oats)
1/3 cunbleached flour (i used a whole wheat pastry flour)
1 Tbspunbleached flour
How to Make Irish Flapjacks
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C.
- Melt butter in a large sauce pan.
- Add golden syrup or substitute, spices and both sugars. Bring to a simmer and cook for a few minutes to infuse the spices. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the oats, flour and salt.
- Add the butter/sugar mixture to the dry mixture. Stir well and spread into a parchment-lined Pyrex baking dish or similar approximately 10 x 15" (25 x 38cm).
- Bake in the oven on a middle shelf for approximately 35-40 minutes or until golden. The original recipe indicated a baking time of 20-25 minutes but that was not long enough for the bars to brown.
- Remove baking dish from oven and set aside to cool 10-15 or until firm enough to slice. Cut into squares then carefully lift the parchment paper out of the pan. Place the bars on a wire rack to cool completely.
Store in a container with a tight fitting lid.