How to Make Grandma Stover's old-fashioned cornmeal mush
- 1Bring 3 cups water to a boil slow boil. Add salt.
- 2Stir cormeal into 1 c. cold water until well blended.
- 3Slowly pour the cornmeal mixture into the boiling water.
- 4Cook over med to low heat until mixture begins to thicken, stirring constantly.
- 5Add butter and contine to cook and stir - stirring less often, until you see the mush going "plop" in the pan. It should be very thick.
- 6This can be cooled a bit and poured into 2 buttered loaf pans - about 3 in. deep. Let set up.
Put into the refrigerator to cool.
- 7The next day, take out of pans and slice in 1 in. slices and roll in flour, dusting lightly.
Fry in a non-stick pan, lightly greased. Cook until the slice is hot inside and, hopefully, lightly brown.
- 8Serve warm with syrup or eggs. Some people like it hot in a bowl, sweetened.