1 Tbspgrated lemon rind
8 slicefrench bread, thick
1 cbread crumbs
2 largetart apples, peeled, cored, sliced
1 Tbsplemon juice
3sliced smoked bratwurst links (8 ounces)
1/4 cminced onion
8 tspsugar cinnamon mixture
How to Make German French Toast
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Whisk together milk, egg yolks and lemon rind.
- Soak bread slices in egg mixture until saturated.
- Whisk egg whites until frothy.
- Dip soaked bread in whites and then dredge in bread crumbs.
- Arrange on greased cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove, turn over and return to oven for 10 minutes longer.
- While toast is baking, place apple slices in small saucepan with the 2 cups water and lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
- Saute bratwurst and onions together until crispy brown.
- To serve, sprinkle toast with sugar/cinnamon mixture, cover with cooked, drained apple slices, sauteed bratwurst and onions.
- Serve with maple syrup.