3 call purpose flour (i use white lily flour-not self rising)
2 tspbaking powder
1/2 ccold, salted butter
1 1/2 tsppure vanilla extract
3/4 cwhole milk
·salted butter for serving
·raspberry jam or preserves for serving
How to Make Fair Scones
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, cornstarch and sugar. Using the large portion of a cheese grater, grate in the cold butter. Using your hands, quickly work the butter into the flour for about 1 minute, being careful not to overwork.
- Add the vanilla and milk and stir gently with a wooden spoon just until it holds together. Sprinkle some flour onto a flat work surface and empty the dough out onto it. Sprinkle the top with flour and gently work into a ball. Divide in half.
- With one half pat into a circle about 1/2-3/4-inch thick. With a sharp knife, cut in half then cut each half into 3 wedges, making 6 pie shape wedges per circle. Repeat with the other half of the dough, making a total of 12 wedges. Place all on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, just until lightly browned, being careful not to overcook. Split each scone halfway through and add butter and raspberry jam or preserves.