Cran-Cherry Caramel Bacon Upside-Down Biscuit Cake with Marmalade Mascarpone Topping
1/2 cdried bing cherries or other dried cherry
1/2 cdried sweetened cranberries
1/2 ccranberry juice
1/2 cunsalted butter
3/4 cbrown sugar, lightly packed
1 tspground cinnamon
1/2 cchopped pecans
1/2 cchopped crisp bacon
1 can(s)(16.3 oz) flaky honey butter biscuits or buttermilk biscuits
8 ozmascarpone cheese, soften
3 Tbsporange marmalade
2 Tbsppowdered sugar
How to Make Cran-Cherry Caramel Bacon Upside-Down Biscuit Cake with Marmalade Mascarpone Topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Combine cherries, cranberries and juice in a glass microwave safe measuring spouted bowl, cover with plastic wrap. Cook on HIGH for 2 minutes, leaving covered to soften cherries as you prepare other ingredients.
- While oven is preheating, melt butter in a 9 or 10-inch cake pan by placing in over for 3-5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle pecans and bacon bits on top of butter mixture, do not stir. Cut biscuits into quarters; do not place in pan yet.
- Pour off juice from softened dried fruit and discard. Place drained cherries and cranberries on top of bacon bits; do not stir and top with biscuit pieces. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until biscuits are dark golden brown and baked through. If needed, cover with foil the last 5-7 minutes of baking to prevent over browning.
- Meanwhile make the marmalade mascarpone topping: Mix in small serving bowl mascarpone, marmalade, and powder sugar until smooth, cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve. (Topping doesn’t have to be refrigerated if you make it right before serving.)
- Remove cake from oven, wait 2-minutes, then carefully invert onto a serving platter, lift pan off, and place any cherry/cranberry bacon topping that remain in the pan back atop the biscuit-cake. Serve warm with marmalade mascarpone topping. Serves 8.
- Bacon Tip: Real bacon bits in a package can be used but I like to make my own. Take 4 slices of bacon and place on 3 layers of paper towel. Cover bacon with a paper towel and place in microwave, cook on HIGH for 4 minutes or at 30-second intervals until crisp. Blot bacon, cook and crumble.