- 2/3 c
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 c
- 2 c
- unbleached white flour
- 2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1/2 c
- packed brown sugar, dark or light to taste
- 1 tsp
MELT SOME BUTTER TO POUR OVER THE TOP
How to Make Coffee Cake
- 1Put the shortning and the flour in a bowl big enough for the entire recipe. Use a pastry blender or two knives to cut in the shortning until it is well blended.
- 2Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until batter looks similar to pancake batter, small lumps are ok.
- 3Transfer to a baking pan sprayed with cooking spray, you can use either an 8" x 8" or an 8" round pan.
- 4Put on topping and spread evenly. Sometimes I make an extra half a batch of topping to make it richer. I poke my fingers don in the batter to get the topping into the cake for an even more decadent taste.
- 5Pour the melted butter over the top, this is to taste but I would use 4 to 8 tablespoons. Make sure to get some in the wells made by your fingers.
- 6Bake at 375 for about 25 minutes. Cake is done when a toothpick in the center comes out clean.