"Calas" for Breakfast
You can compliment with fruit,steamed vegetables..I like asparagus or add meats such as bacon,ham,wonderful sausages,Cajun pulled pork...simple,versatile & oh so good :)D.
- 2 c
- cooked rice
- 6 Tbsp
- 3 Tbsp
- sugar (heaping)
- 2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1/4 tsp
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp
- vanilla extract
- large eggs
- vegetable oil for frying
- confectioners' sugar for dusting
How to Make "Calas" for Breakfast
- 1Cook your rice as directed. Cool to room temperature.
- 2In a large bowl place the cooled rice. Add your flour,sugar,baking powder,salt and nutmeg. Stir lightly until combined well.
- 3Then add your vanilla and eggs. Again, stir together lightly until well combined.
- 4In a larger skillet bring 2 inches (approx.) of vegetable oil to 360 degrees.
- 5Using the (2) spoon method and about 1-2 Tablespoons of your rice mixture form into little egg shapes and carefully drop into the hot oil. Fry until a golden brown then place onto paper towels to drain and cool for about 5 minutes.
- 6Place onto a serving dish, sprinkle lightly with confectioners sugar. Perfect for breakfast, brunch or anytime you want to serve something special for your family and friends.