Amazing Buttermilk Pancakes
- 2 c
- all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 tsp
- baking powder
- 1/2 tsp
- baking soda
- 1/2 tsp
- 2 c
- 1/4 c
- sour cream
- 3 Tbsp
- unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 to 2 tsp
- vegetable oil, for greasing the pan
How to Make Amazing Buttermilk Pancakes
- 1Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a medium bowl. In a second medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, sour cream, eggs and melted butter. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients; gently stir until just combined (batter should remain lumpy with a few streaks of flour). Do not overmix. Allow the batter to sit for 10 minutes before cooking.
- 2Heat 1 teaspoon of the vegetable oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Using a paper towel, carefully wipe out oil, leaving a thin film of oil on the bottom of the pan. Using ¼ cup measure, portion batter into pan in 4 places. Cook until edges are set, first side is golden brown, and bubbles on surface are just beginning to break, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a thin, wide spatula, flip pancakes and continue to cook until second side is golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Serve pancakes immediately.
- 3*Note 1: This recipe was formulated using lower-protein flour such as Pillsbury and Gold Medal. If you use flour with a little higher protein content like King Arthur, you will need to add 1 to 2 more tablespoons of buttermilk. I forgot about this at first, and when I mixed the batter I saw how thick it was. I added 1½ more tablespoons of buttermilk and the batter was perfect.
- 4*Note 2: If you make these on an electric griddle, preheat it to 350 degrees F.
You can also use cooking spray if you choose to do so. I have also made these in a waffle iron. Just experiment and have fun with them. Enjoy! They are delicious!