★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 4-6 slice
- bacon or 1/2 cup diced ham
- 2 c
- 2-3 Tbsp
- bacon drippings
- 3/4-1 c
- quick cooking grits
- salt/pepper to taste
How to Make Southern Ham or Bacon Grits
- 1Fry bacon until crisp,reserving 2 tablespoons drippings (make sure you get the bits in the bottom of the pan)Set bacon aside.If using ham,fry diced ham in additional 1 tablespoon of bacon drippings.
- 2In small sauce pan,add your water and 2 tablespoons bacon drippings,bring to a boil.When boiling,add salt and/or pepper and grits.Pour grits slowly into water as you stir or they will lump.
- 3Cover and reduce heat to low or med/low.Cook for 5-10 minutes.The longer you cook them,the creamier they will get.
- 4Add ham or crumbled bacon into grits...enjoy.